Position Overview: Management of the engineering department and supervision of the engineers and support staff according to established standards and quality system and department KPI’ s.
Position Reports To:
- Assign tasks to engineers and support staff based upon varied experiences and skill levels, and monitor expedient and accurate completion of same
- Mandate and maintain utilization of established design practices, quality standards, department procedures, and corporate policies, and support evolution and development of process improvements
- Follow and implement all applicable standards and customer requirements, including local and national safety standards such as OSHA, ANSI, and CSA
- Support MRT (material review team) in determining disposition of NCM (non-conforming material) issues
- Support Quality department to investigate and close CAR (corrective action reports)
- Support Accounting in tracking and reporting of department absorption and job costing
- Review and analyze estimates and sales proposals to opine if the product can be delivered as specified
- Review and analyze designs and specifications to opine if the product can be manufactured as specified
- Advise and assists in the development and interpretation of procedures to be used on manufacturing floor
- Advise and assists in development and interpretation of procedures to be used in the field during disassembly and reassembly of presses and ancillary equipment
- Monitor and approve vacation and time off requests based on production demands and department workloads
- Monitor and report department staff training hours to HR
- Provide regular periodic performance reviews to department staff and provide documentation to HR
- Other duties as assigned.
Critical Job Skills/Competency Expectations:
- Bachelor’ s degree in engineering discipline or equivalent required.
- Experience with metal stamping presses, automation devices, and machine controls
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD design practice and file management and archiving systems
- Experience with key stage design control, BOM structure, and corresponding documentation
- Experience with ERP systems, especially SAP and/or SAGE500
- Ability to handle multiple personnel and projects in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
Position(s) Reporting Directly to this Role: (currently)
- (10) engineers/designers
- (2) engineering interns
- (3) contract tooling designers
- (3) engineering techs/admin support
- (4) print room associates