Assistant Manufacturing Engineering Manager
12800 Oakland Park Blvd. HIghland Park, Michigan 48203
This position provides strategic and technical support for manufacturing engineering, plant projects and the facility maintenance staff. Perform engineering duties that include planning, designing, and overseeing construction, and maintenance of building equipment, structures, and facilities. Role includes preparing prints and diagrams used in facility documentation. Work is of a technical nature where independent judgment is used and decisions are made within the limits of general practice policies. This career path provides a favorable mix of desk and site work; in and outside of the building. Works efficiently with minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs and provides leadership for typical manufacturing engineering functions including process design, layout design, facilitate Kaizen activities, quality support, ergonomics and safety.
- Practical experience performing program management tasks and effectively manages all aspects of the program launch. (APQP, PFMEA, control plans, plant layout, tooling & equipment design, development & implementation, facility deployment, etc.).
- Technically competent in a wide variety of engineering areas. High degree of organization skills in a highly complex environment.
- Technical confidence with automated systems and capable of troubleshooting automated integrated systems.
- Participates and leads process improvement projects: productivity, quality, ergonomics, etc.
- Ensures the plant’ s equipment and process document readiness to launch successful new programs.
- Supports Maintenance Department to ensure the plant’ s equipment and facility readiness to successfully launch new programs.
- Provides assistance, as needed, to the Production, Maintenance and Quality Departments’ regarding manufacturing performance issues and facility issues.
- Manage multiple challenging projects that are technical in nature, from conception of idea through to implementation into production.
- Ensures all company policies, procedures, plant standards, and safety rules are consistently adhered to.
- Ensures all engineers and maintenance associates within the assigned business unit(s) (new and transferred) have received all required training in a timely manner.
- Ensures the thoroughness and timely completion of scheduled performance reviews for all engineers and maintenance superintendents within the assigned business units.
- Collaborates with the department manager and human resources manager in the administration of disciplinary actions, when necessary.
- Supports and enforces the principles of the Employee Charter, company goals and objectives, decisions and policies by taking ownership and communicating these in a positive and supportive manner.
- Displays a positive attitude towards safety, works safely and follows all the company' s safety policies and procedures.
- Ensures all employees and visitors have a safe environment in that safety and housekeeping standards are maintained; and all hazards, unsafe actions, or unsafe conditions have been identified, corrected, and/or eliminated.
- Responds to and investigates all reports of injuries, accidents, illnesses, near misses and property damage immediately.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’ s Degree in manufacturing engineering or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of eight (8) years of progressive manufacturing engineering experience in an automotive manufacturing environment.
Must have at least three (3) years of experience in a Leadership Role.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated a high level of interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and present information to customers, suppliers, vendors, management, employees and corporate personnel.
- Excellent analytical, problem resolution and project management skills.
- Proficient in all manufacturing methods, techniques, and related equipment.
- Strong organizational skills; Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and priorities to meet established and changing deadlines.
- High analytical level to deal with complex problems.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and CAD Software.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing processes.
- Experience with Allen Bradley PLC controls, including RSLog.ix500 and RSLogix5000 platforms, RSLogix, Panel View and Panel View Plus HMI applications, preferred.
- Ability to interpret blueprints and drawings.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Work performed in an office and manufacturing plant environments. Normal mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer. Frequently walks, stands, performs fine finger movements, grips/grasps, push/pulls, bends/stoops, and lifts and carries parts up to thirty (30) lbs.